Version of Microsoft Office

Any technical questions (installation, configuration etc) should be posted here!

Version of Microsoft Office

Postby kmcounsell2 on Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Can simple support Microsoft Office 2007? I seem to recall an issue last year. I have a student who can not download a word document, it is being listed as index.php. He is using internet explorer and micrsoft Office 2007. No other students have got back to me with a problem downloading the first document.
kmcounsell2

Re: Version of Microsoft Office

Postby mhughes2k on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:13 pm

SIMPLE doesn't actually have any special affinity to any file format that tool (such as Word) may create.

Some times when files are downloaded they can have some issues with their naming, this isn't necessary SIMPLE, it can depend on exactly how the user has chosen to download the file (e.g. using the context menu->Download File vs just clicking on the link). I would generally recommend that users just click on the link rather than choosing the "Download File As" option, as this (generally) tells the web browser the correct information & file type via MIME, rather than via the file's extension.

Any downloaded files should open properly if they just open it from the correct application (e.g. from within Word).

The issue I think you are referring to last year, was the fact that there are different File formats now in existance for Word, and previous versions of Word/Office are not able to open the newer DOCX file format, which is Word 2007's default format.

However Office 2007 will happily open both the 2007 .docx format and the older (97-2003) .doc format too.
Hope this helps.

M!

Application Developer, LTDU
SIMPLE Project Core Team
(w) http://personal.strath.ac.uk/michaelhughes/
(e) michaelhughes@strath.ac.uk
(twitter): http://twitter.com/mhughes2k
mhughes2k
SIMPLE Core Team

Return to Technical