downloaded MS Word files output garbage characters

Any technical questions (installation, configuration etc) should be posted here!

downloaded MS Word files output garbage characters

Postby rsingh on Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:12 am

Hi.

We are running SIMPLE on openSUSE. When any word document is downloaded and opened, it ask for encoding and no matter what is selected it just produces some random characters. I have another setup(XAMPP) on windows machine where there is no problem with any kind of file.On SUSE downloaded file is of around 40-100 pages of garbage output even for a single character .doc file.

where should i begin to troubleshoot?

i tried to compare loaded module for apache but it did not solved the issue.

please help
Thanks
R Singh
rsingh
Active

Re: downloaded MS Word files output garbage characters

Postby mhughes2k on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:03 am

First thing to do is to open the downloaded 'garbage' Word file and have a look inside it using a simple text/hex editor.

Sometimes if there has been a problem whilst the download is prepared error messages are emitted in to the file stream, which would cause the file to be corrupted.

If you see PHP errors in the file when you do this, then those are the places to start looking for bugs.

M
Hope this helps.

M!

Application Developer, LTDU
SIMPLE Project Core Team
(w) http://personal.strath.ac.uk/michaelhughes/
(e) michaelhughes@strath.ac.uk
(twitter): http://twitter.com/mhughes2k
mhughes2k
SIMPLE Core Team

Re: downloaded MS Word files output garbage characters

Postby rsingh on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 am

at first i thought the issue may be with database, may be it is not storing data in correct format. so we accessed database from 2 another instances of SIMPLE from another machine which has win xp and opensuse on virtualbox. and it was fine.

so next step was to compare the php, apache seetings on both suse machines. we did that and found that settings were same.
so after spending lot of time we were at same position.

only solution which looked possible is to setup the whole box again and it is working fine now.

thanks
rsingh
Active

Return to Technical