Narrative Event Diagram

Any technical questions (installation, configuration etc) should be posted here!

Narrative Event Diagram

Postby pframingham on Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:51 am

I am having some problems understanding exactly how the narrative events diagram works. I have put in the release of documents to the player but they are not appearing unless I go into the simulation and send them manually. I assume that the process should be more automated and I wonder whether you can give me any guidance as to what I might be doing wrong.

Can you also clarify the difference between the different events e.g. the difference between NPA and Staff events and when should critical events be used?

Many thanks for any help you can give

Best wishes

Pauline
University of Plymouth
pframingham

Re: Narrative Event Diagram

Postby mhughes2k on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 am

The actual sending of resources to the Player doesn't happen automatically. The reason for this is the level of discretion required to determine whether or not a player has successfully completed a task to allow them to continue.

The NED and release documents provides an more automated (rather than automatic) way for a supervisor to send a bundle of documents, instead of having to send each document individually (and simulation groups allow this to be done to a group of simulations).

We describe critical events as "major plot expositions" that set up a task or reveal new information to the player. Typically these may involve a number of different non-player characters supplying information to the player.

Non-Player Character (NPC) events are typically a reaction of a fictional character to a task that a player has performed. So if the player has to write to their client, the client (an NPC) may respond with more information.

Staff activities on the other hand are almost entirely non-fictional. This level allows you to model where staff have to do things such as assess a piece of work. That piece of work may have been sent by the Player to an NPC (e.g. the client). The task of assessing the work (the Staff task) is entirely subsumed by the NPC task.
Hope this helps.

M!

Application Developer, LTDU
SIMPLE Project Core Team
(w) http://personal.strath.ac.uk/michaelhughes/
(e) michaelhughes@strath.ac.uk
(twitter): http://twitter.com/mhughes2k
mhughes2k
SIMPLE Core Team

Postby pframingham on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 am

Many thanks, Michael.

That does help - I thought I was missing some intermediate step.

Many thanks for your help again

Pauline :D
pframingham

Postby pframingham on Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:14 am

I was reading your FAQ and see that "It (SIMPLE) will generate automatic replies (where needed)" - can you tell me how this is done? If the NED allows only automated replies I wonder how the automatic replies can be achieved.

Many thanks for your help - again!

Pauline
pframingham

Postby mhughes2k on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:07 am

What it is meant to mean is:

Providing a "reply" resource exists, SIMPLE will automatically substitute simulation specific information in to the reply where this information appears. The decision to actually "send" any resource in reply is one that has to be made by a real person.

I admit that answer in the FAQ is a little unclear, and I'll have a look at that section again.

M
Hope this helps.

M!

Application Developer, LTDU
SIMPLE Project Core Team
(w) http://personal.strath.ac.uk/michaelhughes/
(e) michaelhughes@strath.ac.uk
(twitter): http://twitter.com/mhughes2k
mhughes2k
SIMPLE Core Team

Return to Technical