Simulation Outlines

Discussion and files relating to SIMPLE@CALI (Centre for Computer Assited Legal Instruction)

Simulation Outlines

Postby Karen on Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:05 am

Hi again everyone,

Just a quick reminder of what we'd like you to post in this thread.

Please describe your simulation idea in your own words. Make it as brief or as detailed as you like. Note that you can also upload attachments to your posting if you wish - perhaps you already run a paper-based simulation and have a student hand-out or description that you use in your course documentation that you'd like to share with us for example.

If you can, add comments to others' ideas as they appear too.

Once everyone has posted their idea we'll start the process of refining your simulation into a more structured format and introducing some of the terminology and vocabulary that we use in the SIMPLE environment to describe the various important aspects of the simulation itself so that when we get to Boulder we should all be at a stage where we can start using the software and building our blueprints.

Karen
Karen Barton
University of Strathclyde Law School

e: karen.barton@strath.ac.uk
Karen
Instructor

Re: Simulation Outlines

Postby marjorie on Mon May 11, 2009 9:15 am

My material has to do with planning a case for litigation. Some of the materials for the case file and exercises can be found at http://www.wvlegalservices.org/litplan.htm. As I mentioned in my other post, I have done a series of CALI Author lessons on this material. I will bring those with me. If you need other information, let me know. Marjorie
marjorie

Postby Joe on Fri May 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Hello! My planned project is to conduct a real estate closing simulation from the contract stage through the final preparation and delivery of the documents for recording and post-recording. This would generally, involve:
1. Preparing the contract ultimately agreed to by the parties;
2. Conducting due diligence searches, including, but not limited to:
a. obtaining and reviewing the title search;
b. obtaining and reviewing the name/judgment lien search;
c. obtaining and reviewing the governmental lien search;
c. obtaining and reviewing the survey;
d. obtaining and reviewing the mortgage estoppel information;
e. obtaining and reviewing the property inspection reports;
f. obtaining and reviewing the ad valorem tax report;
f. obtaining and reviewing the association estoppel information; etc.
3. Preparing the basic documents for closing, including, but not limited to:
a. the deed;
b. the bill of sale;
c. the seller's affidavit;
d. the title insurance committment;
e. the note;
f. the mortgage;
g. the HUD-1 closing statement;
h. the closing reconciliation sheet;
i. the recording transmittal sheet;
j. the title insurance policy; etc.
Joe
Joe

Postby jim on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 pm

My proposed simulation is the drafting and negotiation of a contract of purchase for a home. The basis will be "hard copy" assignments, which I've required in my real estate transactions course in the past.

My simulation will have some overlap with Joe's simulation, which he described earlier. Unlike Joe, I'm not planning to include events that take place after the signing of the contract.
jim

Postby Robin304 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi All --

My simulation will involve negotiating a Supplemental Environmental Project as part of an EPA/Clean Water Act enforcement action. This generally occurs after the defendant has been found liable -- SEPs can take the place of civil penalties and generally restore the affected environment or otherwise help the affected community.

Robin
Robin304

Postby SarahV on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:36 pm

My simulation will be built around a family law simulation already in use at our law school. It involves a third party custody issue. For the purposes of the conference I will focus on the drafting of a settlement agreement after the initial trial and order but prior to the appeal.

Sarah Valentine
CUNY School of Law
SarahV

Return to SIMPLE@CALI